Cairns

Monday, April 16, 2007


So I am back. It was a bit longer than I planned but it took a little while to find the time to sift through the photos. Warning semi long post ahead!!

So Cairns was so much fun and we had such a great, relaxing time. We "survived" the tsunami warning - we decided to go for a drive inland just in case. You can never be too careful. We saw some beautiful things that day. The world famous Cathedral and Curtin Fig trees, some gorgeous waterfalls and we had lunch at a gorgeous little place called Mungali Dairy. It was so cute and the food was awesome.



We also went on the Skyrail, which is a cableway up the side of a mountain and takes you through rainforest. It was so beautiful and there was opportunities to get off at a couple of stations and walk around some boardwalks through the rainforest.


And the last big thing we did was our boat trip out to the Outer Barrier Reef. We snorkelled at two different spots and then caught the helicopter home. It was a pretty rocky trip out to the reef. The wind was about 20 knots which apparently is a little rough and I don't usually get seasick but I was feeling pretty green by the time we got to the snorkelling spot. No-one else had actually been sick so I was determined not to be the first to blow chunks!! The snorkelling was amazing. I was a little scared at first. Never been out in the middle of the ocean without land in sight and also I was a little worried about what might be lurking below. But I soon got over that as we got closer to the fish and the coral. We saw so many different fish and coral. The colours were amazing and I have never seen anything like it before. We had an underwater disposable camera so we took some photos. Haven't had them developed yet so it will be interesting to see how they come out. I just couldn't believe how close to the fish and the coral we got. The fish were brushing past us. Kinda creepy and cool all at the same time! And the helicopter ride home was unbelievable. Neither of us had ever been in a helicopter so to go in one over the Great Barrier Reef was an unforgettable experience. The pilot was a bit of a daredevil and did a few swoops close to the water. Very cool.

The rest of our time was spent relaxing, reading, bumming around, went on a couple of drives to Port Douglas and other little beaches. Was such a great time and a great way for us to spend some time together before little Squirt arrives. Yes we have a interim name - Squirt. After the baby turtle from Finding Nemo.

So that was our holiday. We went baby furniture shopping when we got back but I'll post all about that, with some pictures tomorrow. I think I've blabbed enough today.

Till next time

5 comments:

Nat said...

So great to hear you had such a wonderful holiday together Megs! Looking forward to hearing about and seeing pics of the bubs room - and hows your bump going? How far along are you now?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your CAIRNS pics Megan....I'm so looking forward to our trip up there later in the year.......it was great that you got to snorkel and fly in the helicopter.......now you can concentrate on getting 'squirts" room ready......love the nic name 1

Lyn

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic holiday Megan! I loved that Skyrail. Did you come back down on the train? I was thinking about you guys with the tsunami warnings! Glad nothing eventuated!

Jess

mark & cath said...

Hey Megs,
Still beaming!!
Megs when you are breast feeding you'll have to get some feeding pads!!
You're looking great!
Love Cath

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan! Have exchanged a couple of emails with your Dad in the past day or two and he said to take another look at your blog when I asked after you. So I've just checked it out again. So good to know everything is going so well with your pregnancy! Before you know it, your little 'squirt' will be here - but you'd definitely better give him or her a different name to live with - LOL I heard of a couple who gave their 'bump' the nickname 'Holly Molly Martha' - and then when she arrived they were so attached to the name they stuck with it! Now Holly is a beautiful name but I'm not too sure she'll be impressed with her 2nd and 3rd names! LOL
My obstetrician always referred to our babies (and no doubt everybody else's) as 'Oscar'! Duncan says he wonders how many of the babies he's delivered actually get given that name!
What a wonderful holiday you had! I hope we can go up there some time - particularly to see the Great Barrier Reef before it gets destroyed by global warming (which they say could be as soon as 20 years hence - terrible thought!)
Your photos are beaut - and so are the photos of you with your bump! :-) You are such a combination of your Mum and Dad!
If you're interested and have the time at any stage before your little Squirt arrives, you might like to look at some of my writing on a site called Helium.com (don't add 'au' though - that's a different Helium). You need to type 'Ruth Woodhouse' into the search field and it will bring up all my articles - I've done a bit over 50 so far. I might even start a blog site some time (if I'm not too old to do something like that! LOL)

Love to the whole family - Ruth, Duncan, Amy and Jordan Woodhouse (woodiesmail@bigpond.com) - Canberra, ACT