Bronze Medallion

Thursday, August 10, 2006


As part of the new Safety & Care procedures in working with children and youth at The Salvation Army, you aren't not allowed to take kids anywhere near water unless one of the leaders has a Bronze Medallion. Gone are the days when we just let the kids wander free, eh? So that leader is going to be me. I am going to go for my Bronze Medallion on first weekend in October. That's kinda scary cause although I am a pretty good swimmer, I am majorly unfit. One of the assessments I have to do is swim 400m in 13 minutes. Easy I said. But then they said "CONTINUOSLY." Like, no stopping for a 5 second breather. Just hit the wall and turn around again. AHHH! So my training is starting this Saturday morning down at the local pool. Andrew is going to come down with me and make sure I actually do laps - not just swan around!
The other thing that is slightly freaking me out is that I am going to have to spend a weekend with strangers - in my bathers. Am hoping the training and better eating (as of now) will work some magic on my flabby bits by then. 7th October - that's 8 weeks to lose about 12 kgs. HA! I'll aim for 8 (and hopefully make at least 5!)

5 things I am grateful for today
1. Lost Finale tonight - love that show but getting frustrated at the same time
2. More stuff donated for our fundraising auction night
3. Zucchini slice for tea - sounds gross but is so nice
4. Some time to scrapbook tonight
5. Motivation to get fit

Till next time

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Megs - so great that you're doing the Bronze Medallion. We'll be so organised at Mooroolbark with safety and care! With all that training planned I'm sure you'll be able to swim 400m. Much better chance of you swimming it than me!

It's so good having you as part of the team at Mooroolbark - keep up the encouraging work!

Anonymous said...

Good on you for going for your Bronze Medallion.
I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours!

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan

haven't read your blog for a week or so. It's very late and I decided to do it before I went to bed - glad I did, because I'm always blessed by it and makes me proud of you all over again.
You were a very good swimmer when you were younger - had a really good style as I remember. I'm sure it will all come back to you, and you will become super fit !!
I think andrew should get in the water with you!!
Must go. I started to go to bed about an hour ago, but kept getting distracted. Sunday tomorrow so I need to be 'on my game'. I am doing a youth Alpha session tomorrow with some teenagers - so that should be fun !!
Love you lots. Give my love to Andrew !!

Love Mum xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg,
Bronze Medallion, huh? I'm so impressed. I only got my Herald (25m swim at the age of 10. How's that for impressive?)I'll leave the life saving in the pool to you!
So glad to read your blog. Love your honesty and humour...sounds like you have really cool parents. You must be proud of them. They must love you heaps.
Anyway...I had better go now too.
Keep blogging.
Lots of Love.. Dad xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi to Megan's lovely parents,

You sure have a wonderful daughter who has such a way with words and is humourous and thoughtful!

mmmmmm.... she must have great parents...LOL!

Lyn

Jess said...

Wish I lived closer Megan, I'd come swimming with you! I used to swim 6 days a week as a teenager, but I'm so unfit now and have no motivation when I swim alone.

Jess said...

zx/., m., m,mz kiuoiui ijnh

from Angus

Sofi said...

Megan, I so admire you, and the work you put in, with the Salvation Army. Your parents must be so proud!

All the best with the swimming certificate, and good luck!

Katie Toland said...

Hi Megie! Loved reading all your comments, especially your mum and dads... they sound as gorgeous as you always express they are. (Love Angus' post too LOL)I agree with your mum, Andrew should get in the pool too. He can be your pacer :) You'll do fab, and good on you for being enthusiastic about it too!