In memory of Hazel

Friday, October 21, 2011

Today I attended the funeral of a very special lady. Her name was Hazel. I used to clean her house and for most of this year, every Friday, Noah and I helped her with her shopping. She loved going shopping with us. She'd treat Noah as if he were her own grandson, proudly talking about him to the people we met whilst shopping - the butcher, the girls at Bakers Delight, the checkout girl at Woolies. Telling them all how good he'd been shopping, how old he was etc.. It was very sweet.
She was such a strong independent woman with a generous spirit and love for people. She was funny, opinionated, caring. She loved the finer things in life - good food, good people, good wine. In her 65 years she had faced so many trials - 2 bouts of cancer, the death of her husband, a diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease and then a daughter who got breast cancer at 27. But none of these things was able to break her. She continued to live and fight and enjoy life. She had many passions - quilting, sewing, card making, photography, cooking, gardening. 
She was an amazing lady and had a great impact on my life over the last couple of years and I will miss her. I will miss our weekly shopping trips to Eastland. Our coffee and cake date at the end of the shopping. I will miss her funny stories, her honesty and her views on life.
Death/funerals always make me value life that little bit more and make me hope that I will have an impact of those around me. That I will be someone that others will learn from. That in me, people will see a woman of love, strength, generosity, trust and determination.
Hazel was one such lady.
I am so grateful to have known her. To have called her a friend.

2 comments:

Ian and Viv Callander said...

Lovely to read your tribute Megs. There are, and will continue to be, many people who will think the same about you, and who will be proud to call you their friend.
I'm certainly proud of you... D xoxo

Tam said...

Sorry for the loss of this special person, Megs. Hope all the happy memories you have of Hazel help to fill the hole she leaves in your life. I'm sure you were a blessing to her too!