Words that define the way I want to parent

Sunday, October 16, 2011

 So last week I came to a decision that I wanted to write a mummy mission statement for myself (you'll find the post here). This came about from some reading I did on another blog - Everything is Edible written by Loiusa  I wanted this mission statement to be something that would help me be a better mum and remind me of what I want to be about as a mum. First step was to come up with some words that define the way I want to parent. Some of the stuff I have borrowed from Louisa and others who are taking on this challenge. A lot of their words and descriptions resonated with me.
FAITH
I want Joel and Noah to know Jesus. I want to show them and teach them what a life of faith looks like.
LOVE
I want Joel and Noah to know and feel they are loved by me 100% of the time, by me, even when I am cross with them or grumpy. I never want them to doubt that. I also want them to learn how to love others.
SAFE
I want them to feel safe in our home and I want them to feel safe in sharing things with me and talking to me.
GENEROSITY
I want Joel and Noah to see me as a generous person. Not just financially - although I am sure that will come soon enough - but generous with my time, my praise for them and generous with myself. That I am available to them. Hopefully they will learn to be generous people too.
RESPECT
I want to be the sort of mum who Joel and Noah know will listen to them and respect them. I want them to know that what they say and think matters to me.
GRACE & IMPERFECTION
I want to be the sort of mum (and person for that matter) who is able to admit when I am wrong and show examples of humility and forgiveness. I also want to show Joel and Noah that it's ok to make mistakes and to handle failures and hard times with grace and a screwed on head.
FUN
I want Joel and Noah to see me as a fun person. Happy, laughing and confident. Able to be silly and funny. To get messy and join in their fun. To play with them and enjoy them.

There were so many words and things that came up but to make this doable, I needed to try and scale down a bit so these are my thoughts for now. A mission statement is only useful when it is practical so my challenge for this week is the following - need to choose 3-5 of the above words to practice and define. How do I do these things? What do they look like in action?
Hopefully that will help me get a better picture of what my mission statement will look like.

Till next time

2 comments:

Tam said...

Beautiful words, Megs. Big goals but your motivation to be a better mum will get you there!

Good luck with living it out this week.

Anonymous said...

Megan
We are so proud of you!and Andrew, Joel and Noah.
We admire your approach to parenting and the values you have considered as important.
You are a wonderful Mum and wife...and daughter, sister and Auntie!!!
You are such a special part of our family.
Love you lots and really loking forward to having much more 'hands on' family time real SOON

Love Mum and dad xoxo