Born into Brothels

Monday, April 24, 2006


So I am back after a couple of days. Have been pretty busy around here. Whilst away from my blog, I realised how much I missed sharing stuff and couldn't wait to get back. But I also came to the conclusion that I don't want this blog to be just meaningless blah about my day to day life, cause frankly I am kinda boring and who would really care. I wanted this blog to also be a place where I could hopefully encourage people and inspire them to become better versions of themselves. I am hoping to do this by opening peoples eyes to what is out there in our world, and what we can do to make it a better place for our kids. I've already let you all know about Making Poverty History (and if you don't remember, click the white band in the top corner!)

But today I want to talk about one of the most amazing docos you will ever see. It's called Born into Brothels. Man, is this brilliant. It's a portrait of several unforgettable children who live in the red light district of Calcutta, where their mothers work as prostitutes. Zana Briski, a New York based photographer, gives each of these youngsters a camera and teaches them how to take pictures, simultaneously causing them to look at their world with new eyes. Their photographs are prisms into their souls, rather than anthropological curiosities, and a true testimony to the power of the indelible creative spirit.

It truly makes you want to be a better person and it shocks you into action to help fight for children like the ones in this film.

There is even a website dedicated to the photos that the children took and you can even buy prints of the photos. They are truly incredible children and so wise beyond their years. Find out more here at the Kids with Cameras website.

So do yourself a favour and go rent Born into Brothels. You'll be inspired!

Till next time

3 comments:

Jess said...

I don't think I've even seen this, although I do remember reading something about it. I'll have to go hunting.

Don't stop posting about your life completely Megan. I find you inspiring just because of who you are and I love hearing about your life.

Jess

Sofi said...

We live in such a lucky country. I could not imagine what these children go through.

Anonymous said...

Megan.............you've got me thinking I should see this now.

Thanks for the run down on the story..........

We are living in a lucky country aren't we....sometimes I think we just take life and those in it for granted without stopping and really appreciating what we have around us and the kindness of the people in our lives.

Lyn