The Games

Sunday, March 26, 2006

So the Commonwealth Games are almost over and I think Melbourne did brilliantly. I am not a sport nut, but I don't mind watching certain sports for fairly short periods of time. Last night I totally surprised myself and watched the games from 7:00 - 11:00pm. Straight! No scrapbooking breaks, no change the channel for an hour or so. STRAIGHT! And I loved it. Really got into the athletics over the last few days.
But I, along with most of Australia, am completely devastated for Craig Mottram. I would have loved to have seen him fly in the last lap of the 1500m. But it was not meant to be. Andrew and I were just getting into the race , cheering away for him, and all of a sudden, down he goes. So sad for him. But I am sure he'll get over it. Hey, he got a silver medal in an earlier race. There are plenty of people who trained just as hard as he did to get to the games, only to walk away with nothing.

Made me think. What is it about sport that makes people train so hard, with no guarntees that they will ever win. I suppose it is indicitive of the human spirit and the need to challenge ourselves, and push hard. And more often than not, the athletes are happy when they go better than they've ever done. Past their personal best.

Still has to suck when you never win though!!

Till next time

0 comments: