It's not always good

Thursday, July 27, 2006

I feel sad. Sad that there again is war in the Middle East. Sad that the world is not at peace. Sad that innocent people are dying - women, children, the elderly, are dying because of where they live. On Ch 9 news last night, they showed a reporter come very close to the bombings and he ran and took shelter in an aged care home. The look on the faces of those elderly residents moved me to cry for them. The confusion, desperation and fear in their eyes. These people who have lived long lives and just want to see there last few years out peacefully. They were to old, to fragile, to be evacuated, so they wait. Wait for the end - whatever that may be - death, peace, ceasefire. Who knows? Their world has been destroyed. I feel so removed from all this turmoil, on the other side of the world. I'm in my own little world here, safe and secure. It doesn't really affect me at all. But it should. And it has. I will not stop turning off the news because there are those who are living this news first hand. I will not stop praying that peace will come to the Middle East and the freedom and love will ultimately win over. How grateful I am to live in such a blessed country.

All this has caused me to think of the many things I have cause to be grateful for. Therefore each time I post, I will post 5 things that I am grateful for on that day. There is so much.

Today I am grateful for... (in no particular order)
1. The opportunity to live in a country where war is something we only talk about on ANZAC day
2. My mum and dad for loving me and being proud of me (and for reading my blog and commenting)
3. A loving husband who cooks me tea most nights!
4. Scrapbooking cause it allows me to be creative and gives me an opportunity to express myself
5. Cadbury Hazelnut chocolate - cause it just tastes so good!


Till next time, pray for those in the Middle East (regardless of your faith!)

3 comments:

Marina said...

I can definitely agree with this Megs. I have been listening to 774 ABC to and from uni and work each day. Each morning I am moved to tears over all of this fighting. I saw an image in the Age which completely astounded me - that of a small girl drawing on a warhead. She drew messages of hatred for her enemy and pride in her 'side' of the war. For these children they know of only war and bombs. At uni I am learning how to get students interested in maths..how for apart can the worlds be? I pray for the children - that they may see peace and know kindness in their lives. You are an amazing person who doesn't let life simply pass you by, always remember that you have people who are also grateful for you.

Love M.

Anonymous said...

Megan............I agree with what you are saying! We do live in a great country!
War seems so remote from us....although I'm sure there are a lot of Aussie families affected in some way by this latest crisis...and of course all the families of our wonderful servicemen and women.

I must get Rod to read number 3 on your list.....he,he....wouldn't mind if he cooked the melas most nights.LOL!

Nat said...

We do so easily take for granted that we live in such a free, safe and secure country. I mean here I am eating a lasagne for lunch with a coffee and watching my fave TV shows... while there are people who are suffering so much in other parts of the world.

Thankyou for reminding me of how blessed and lucky we are in this wonderful country.

Nat :)